Wednesday 18 March 2015

I COULD HAVE DROWNED

 It is such a privilege to share this testimony by a dear friend and colleague Priscilla Olubunmi-Awoseyi. Priscilla interviewed and featured me on her blog last year after the release of my debut album ‘Arise’ and here I am today sharing her testimony on my blog JI always tell her I like reading her interviews, honestly she does such a great job with her interviews J


Priscilla Olubunmi-Awoseyi, fondly called “Priscilla” by her many admirers and associates, is the Initiator of Priscilla’s Place (Blog) on Praiseworld Radio & Kabiesi Blogspot.  She is also the National Coordinator for WAOMM (Women of African Origin in Music Ministry) in Canada where she lives with her husband and son. She is a singer/songwriter, a worship leader and is set to release her long awaited single titled “More than a song” on the 18th of April, 2015, watch out for the release. It is a song that expresses her heartfelt gratitude to God who saved her from the cold grips of death a few years ago. She narrowly escaped being drowned in a flood as a pregnant woman.

This is actually her first time of sharing this via Print and so I am feeling very honored yayyy me lol. As I read her testimony, my heart was racing, I felt like I was watching a movie. I can’t even begin to imagine what she and her husband were going through. She could have drowned with their unborn baby but MERCY SAID NO.

Let this testimony encourage you. I pray that as you read you will experience the saving power of God.

3 years ago in Lagos-Nigeria precisely July I was on my way home from a rehearsal (Zera Mass Choir Rehearsal by Midnight Crew) there was this unending storm and flood, I am sure some people will remember that epic/intense flood that took so many lives. I was wondering how I would get home since it was getting late, I was not mobile; Taxis and Buses were not available making Bikes aka “Okada” the only means of transportation at that hour. I had no choice but to take one of the bikes.

Along the way, my phone battery went out, so there was no means of communication. Nobody in the world knew where I was, my husband knew I went for rehearsals, and the last thing he said, was “Stay there, don’t leave” My friends at the Rehearsal thought I was on my way home. I was 3 months pregnant and was feeling very uncomfortable all I could think of was getting home to my bed and away from the flood. So against my husband’s instruction, I took a Bike.

We got to a Canal under a bridge before Berger and the force of the flood took us down flowing directly to the open deep canal which was filled up as the same level as the ground, The canal flows somewhere to a swampy field that leads to a beach I guess, The force of the flood was so much, it stripped me of my shirt, Bag, that contained my phone, money etc. I was half naked with just my underclothes!

The Bike Driver and I as well as his Bike were sliding fast into the Canal, I was Screaming, “Lord Have Mercy” “My Baby” repeatedly. I could not swim, I was drowning, gulping chemical water, I could not scream because I was taking in water, I tried to grab something solid, but had to let go due to the force of the water I could taste fear and death!

In my mind, I saw the world flashed through my eyes, different thoughts all in a split second. But I remember that the dominant thought was “Lord Have Mercy.” At this point, Cars behind us shone their headlights on the Canal entrance, nobody moved. Till this day, I absolutely have no idea where those men came from, like 5 of them, one was desperately trying to grab hold of my hair, the others held on to the person trying to grab me, once he made contact I was able to reach out for his hand, They dragged me out, The bike driver fortunately could swim his way through. I was pulled out gasping for air. For 2 days, I could not feel my baby. I was scared that something could be wrong. Tears of joy and gratefulness flowed freely when the scan showed my baby was safe and sound. He is now three years old today.

I thank God for saving me, I could have been dead and forgotten, “But Mercy Said NO” Heaven said it wasn’t time, I still have so many things to be accomplished…. Well, I sustained some injuries and scars till date which always reminds and humbles me. I had nightmares and the trauma- imminent, till now, it sometimes flashes through my mind and gives me the shivers. These were my thoughts when I was working on this song alongside my songwriter-“Limoblaze” this song is an expression of my gratefulness to God and to serve as a reminder to me that, God loves me so much to give me another chance to live for him.

More Than A Song is scheduled for release in April 18, and I believe you would share in the goodness of God and feel grateful to God as well. 





You can connect with Priscilla on www.facebook.com/priscillasings and follow her journey.


8 comments:

  1. Glory to GOD. But for His mercies. Halleluyah. Merciful God!!!!!!!!!!.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feature. You are such a sweet soul. I feel blessed to share it here. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glory to GOD. But for His mercies. Halleluyah. Merciful God!!!!!!!!!!.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praise God! Next time listen to your husband. Glory to God!

    ReplyDelete